Installing outdoor shutters in your home is a perfect way to boost your curb appeal. Not only that! These shutters can also secure your home against theft and protect it from weather damage.
To maximize your advantage, you have to, first, choose the right shutters for your home. That’s why, in this article, we’ll highlight the 7- things to keep in mind when buying outdoor shutters.
- Think about the Silhouette
There are 4- main types of shutters, and they all have a unique look that can go well with any home type.
- Louvred Shutters: Their structure consists of several slats placed at an angle to allow air and light to pass through. They look great and are perfect for just about any home. However, they go exceptionally well with Victorian and traditional homes.
- Bahama and Bermuda Shutters: They cover the whole window. They suspend from the top with hinges. Also, they protect your home from rain and storms. They are common in coastal and tropical areas.
- Board and Batten Shutters: They are the oldest kind of shutters. Their structure consists of 3 or 4 boards joined to a batten (horizontal or angled board). These shutters go well with brick homes and farmhouses.
- Raised Panel Shutters: Raised Panel Shutters look like doors or kitchen cabinets with a single or double raised panel. They have a low profile, and, for that reason, they can match well with all styles of homes. That includes colonial, Greek Revival, Ranch, Federal, Victorian, etc.
- Consider the Material
When buying your shutters from ShutterUp, think about the material used to make those shutters. There are several types of shutter materials you can choose from including,
- Wood or wood composite shutters
- Aluminum shutters
- Vinyl shutters
Your ideal kind of shutter material will vary depending on,
- The location of your home
- Your budget
- Purpose of the shutters, I.e., decoration, theft deterrent, hurricane protection
- Shutter Operation
Another crucial factor you must consider when buying your shutters is the mode of operation. Here, there are two options you can choose from,
- Manual Shutters: Operated by hand. They are ideal for tight spaces. They are also cost-effective.
- Automated or Electric Shutters: They rely on electrical energy to operate. They have a switch or a remote to enable control. These kinds of shutters are ideal for large spaces.
- The Colors
The color you choose for your shutters matters a lot too. It will have a powerful impact on the general aesthetics of your home. Before you pick on a color, think about the style of your home. Your goal is to choose a color that will make your home look better.
- The Quality
You want to buy something that will last longer and keep your home secure. Right? Well, in that case, you cannot afford to compromise on the quality of your shutters.
Make sure you buy your outdoor shutters from a reputable source to ensure high quality.
Cost is yet another factor you must consider when buying your outdoor shutters. The total cost of your shutters includes the buying price and the installation cost. You must first set a realistic budget limit then find a shutter that suits your bill.
Also, make sure you do thorough research to find something that will give you the best value for your money.
- Warranty and Other Services
As stated above, you have to buy your shutter from a reputable source to ensure high quality. While at it, make sure you check the services they offer for professionalism, especially where installation is concerned.
If you choose electric shutters, make sure the company offers a warranty. A warranty ensures that you do not incur any additional cost, just in case your shutter develops a problem or stops working due to a fault in the manufacturing process.
Also, remember to check the company’s customer care and support services. Ensure that their staff is efficient and fast enough to respond to your queries and offer quick installation and hassle-free maintenance, among other professional services.
Are you planning to install outdoor shutters in your home? Well, you’ll be happy to know that you are on the right track of things.
There are plenty of ideas you can use on your doors and windows to improve the visual appeal of your home. But nothing comes close to what exterior shutters have to offer.
The only trick is to choose the right shutters for your home. Usually, this may seem like an easy task, but in reality, it is not. Exterior window shutters come in different sizes, colors, designs, shapes, materials, and prices. There are customized options too. With so much to choose from, it takes time, research, and a lot of thinking to find the option that best suits your needs.
Lucky for you, now you know the 7- things to keep in mind to guide you throughout your whole process as you buy your outdoor shutters.