When the concept of the internet first started, it was all about sharing information in a connected form. From a few connected computers, the internet became satellite operated so that all kinds of information could be transferred to everyone around the world.
Hence came the world wide web [www.].
But, in recent years, we see things that are clearly opposed to this initial motto of the internet. There has been a lot of concealment of information, manipulation of data, and censoring of content.
It’s like people are always dictating the way one should consume the media. The government has always dictated other mediums, and now with the internet spreading like a wildflower, they are trying to take drastic measures like blocking certain things from the viewer’s eyes.
If you want to get access to free content without any barrier, then click https://thenewpiratebay.org/
What Is Digital Freedom?
Digital freedom was a term coined after the government started controlling the digital medium. Because this reached the highest amount of mass, they felt it needed more control than any other medium.
Digital Freedom is the right to have access to all the information that has been circulated over the internet worldwide. The contents of the internet should not be concealed from the public eye. At the same time, they should have full right to talk about the matter and share their opinion.
Digital Freedom consists of freedom of speech and expression on the internet. You should be allowed to talk about hate crimes or post criticizing political parties without the fear of being banned from the platform or getting menacing comments and death threats.
What Are The Basic Digital Rights?
Here enlisted are the basic digital rights that everyone should have while accessing the internet.
- You get access to all the information and content that is uploaded over the internet.
- No content should be restricted from you in terms of the political or social message or the controversy that is attached to its name.
- You have every right to create and publish digital media, as long as it is not a hate message focusing on religion, caste, creed, or sex.
- You should be allowed to use all the medium of communication that allows you to connect to the entire world.
- Digital rights are also a big part of human rights now. This is why they should be taken even more seriously now.
Why Is Digital Freedom Important?
- Digital Freedom is important because there are still people in the war-stricken area of the Middle East who have no idea what is happening around in the world.
- Digital Freedom is important because people in North Korea are brainwashed and do not know what real human rights look like.
- Digital Freedom is important because there are excellent movies and shows worldwide that talk about the most pressing issues in the world, and there are people still oblivious to this artistry.
- Digital Freedom is important because there is a government that still thinks that they can control the mind of the people, that they can manipulate their minds into possessing hate towards another community.
- Digital Freedom is important to make people aware of all the things that are going on in the world.
- Digital Freedom is important because we are no longer citizens of a particular country; we are now the world’s citizens.
Why Is Digital Freedom Being Restricted?
Since the internet became the voice of the majority, oppression is going to be a common theme. The law has somehow always tried to suppress content that talks about the harsh reality.
Sometimes digital freedom is restricted by the government. This is either hurting their political propaganda, or some statement is made criticizing them. Sometimes, things get a little serious, and the government tries to suppress digital content, which they do not want the masses to know.
Governments can also ban certain content because of religious beliefs and cultural norms. Plus, a country bans content from another country with whom they have a political clash.
Social and religious obligations could also be the reason for censoring films and television series materials. Sometimes even age restricts certain digital content.
Certain advertisements have to be disguised differently in digital marketing as the product can’t be shown. These are known as shadow advertisements.
Yes, there are valid reasons for restricting certain content over the internet. For example, explicit violent content should be concealed from public eyes, especially children.
However, there shouldn’t be any oppression based on the basic human right to consume digital content.