Investing is a long time hobby of mine and I am always on the lookout for “something new”. Looking to differentiate my investment portfolio I set out on a mission to find a passive income option in the agriculture space. I came across a novel and very unique online agriculture investment platform called The Walnut Fund.
The Walnut Fund provides clients the option to invest in walnut trees. It’s actually a really simple concept – a repetitive yearly process in which The Walnut Fund collects capital and utilizes it to erect that year’s high yielding walnut plantation.
To simplify it even further… Investors worldwide buy “x” trees, the walnut fund plants the trees and facilitate the plantation. When the trees begin to produce yield, profits are split between TWF and investors.
There are a couple of thinks I really like about their platform. Some being;
- It’s a one-time investment / payment. The capital allocated for that year’s plantation is used to buy the land needed, plant the walnut trees and manage the plantation until it becomes self-sufficient. No additional investment is required afterwards.
- Unlike most passive income options, this passive income class appreciates in value over time. The older the tree the more valuable it is.
- The team is transparent and easy to reach out too. I got a personal answer from the CEO within hours of my initial inquiry.
- A very long term option: 40+ years of passive income in the game
5. Their ROI forecast is very modest. As explained to me during our e-meet they don’t want to deceive investors so their projected numbers are downsized. After doing my own due diligence this does seem to be the case. Not only did they forecast using a selling price that is lower than current market value $/kg, but they didn’t account for inflation, didn’t include income from intercropping nor income from timber sales that occurs at the end of the project.
After conducting a short 30min online video call with The Walnut Fund team I was sold, and I invested in 100 trees. A 15000$ investment, which is set to make me an estimated 4300$ / year and approximately 170 000$ during the entire lifespan of the project. Not to mention that’s using their forecast… I’m expecting even more!
Check them out – www.thewalnutfund.com