Badminton is one of the most popular sports in the world. Though it is often considered a solo sport, badminton can actually be played as part of a team.
Badminton is a racquet sport that can be played as singles or doubles. It is a popular sport all over the world, and there are many tournaments for amateurs and professionals alike. But what makes badminton a team sport? And what are the rules? Keep reading to learn more…
Why badminton is considered a team sport
1. You can play badminton doubles
Badminton doubles is a game in which two teams, each with one or two players, hit a shuttlecock across a net to score points. It is played either indoors or outdoors. The indoor court is rectangular (9.75 meters long and 5.10 meters wide) and divided into halves by the net. The outer court is larger, measuring 27.44 meters by 13.72 meters.
2. The game can be played as part of a team
Badminton can be played as part of a team in order to score points and win a match. In doubles, two teams hit the shuttlecock back and forth across the net to score points. The first team to reach 21 points, with a margin of two, wins the game. If both teams are tied at 20-20, then the game goes into overtime until one team gains a two-point lead.
3. There are many different types of badminton competitions
Badminton is often played in tournaments where teams or individuals compete against each other for the highest score. These are organized by various badminton associations, such as the BWF (Badminton World Federation), the IBF (International Badminton Federation), and the UBA (United Badminton Association).
The rules of playing badminton
- A badminton match is played between two teams, each with one or two players.
- The shuttlecock is made up of 16 goose feathers attached to a 6.7 cm diameter rubber base.
- Players are allowed to strike the shuttlecock only above the waist during play.
- Each point starts with the serving player hitting the shuttlecock across the net diagonally to their opponent’s half of the court.
- The server scores a point if his/her serve goes into the right service court; otherwise, it is called ‘fault’.
- Similarly, when a rally ends for any reason other than because an error was made, it is called ‘out’ if it lands outside the boundary line or ‘in’ if it lands inside the boundary line.
- The first player or team to score 21 points, with a margin of two, wins the game. If both teams are tied at 20-20, then the game goes into overtime until one team gains a two-point lead.
- There is no such thing as ‘side out’ in badminton; that is, when one team reaches its serve limit, the play does not stop and the other team must serve.
- Matches are best of three games or best of five games.
Badminton is a team sport, but not just any kind of team. It’s one that requires skill and strategy to be successful at the game. If you are interested in playing badminton, we can help you get the ideal badminton racquets! One of our experts would love to talk with you about what equipment might work best for beginners in order to help you improve your badminton skills quickly.