People with special needs might experience various difficulties in life. Among them, health insurance is not one. The online health insurance market has recently changed, and insurers are now providing more inclusive plans, so there are now various options for coverage for those with disabilities.
Types Of Disabilities
- Congenital Disabilities
Congenital impairments are those that a person has from birth. Examples include Down’s syndrome, spina bifida, and fragile X syndrome.
- Mental Disabilities
Mental disabilities are conditions that affect an individual’s brain and psychological growth. Some disabilities could exist from birth, while others could appear later.
- Accidental Disabilities
Disabilities brought on by accidental injuries are known as unintentional disabilities. Loss of limbs, blindness, deafness, etc., are typical examples.
Options For Health Insurance For People With Disabilities
There are two options you can consider when it comes to health insurance plans for family plans. The list is as follows:
- Health Insurance Schemes Offered By The Government
Nirmaya Health Insurance Scheme
Autism, cerebral palsy, and other disabilities covered by the National Trust Act of 1999 are all covered by this programme. The National Trust is in charge of managing it. No pre-entrance health screenings are necessary for the coverage, which is limited to Rs. 1 lakh. The following health insurance benefits of coverage are included:
- The cost of hospitalisation
- OPD remedies
- Consequences of continuing therapy
- Covers alternative medicine
- Transport expenses
The costs are incredibly reasonable, with premiums as low as Rs. 250 for BPL (Below Poverty Line) families, Rs. 500 for non-BPL families, and free coverage for those enrolling with a legal guardian. Claims are subject to terms and conditions set forth under the health insurance policy. ##
Swavlamban Health Insurance Scheme
In collaboration with the New India Assurance Company Limited, the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities and the Ministry of Social Justice introduced the Swavlamban programme. People with locomotor disabilities, blindness, low vision, mental retardation, etc. may be covered by the programme. The following are some of the scheme’s key characteristics:
- A fixed premium of Rs. 375 for family floater coverage of Rs. 2 lakhs
- The family floater plan covers one adult and up to three children, any of whom may have a disability.
- The age range is 0 to 65.
- The costs of OPD visits, inpatient stays, pre- and post-hospitalization expenses, etc., may be covered.
- The policy can be purchased without a pre-entry health examination. Claims are subject to terms and conditions set forth under the health insurance policy.
- Health Insurance Schemes Offered By Health Insurance Companies
Many online health insurance providers offer coverage for people with disabilities. However, the following considerations should be made when utilising the services of health insurers:
- Not all insurance providers offer coverage for people with disabilities. You would need to locate an insurer that enables such coverage specifically.
- Most insurers that provide coverage for people with disabilities typically exclude mental and congenital disabilities. However, many modern insurers are expanding coverage for these people, albeit with limitations on the disability. If you opt for Bajaj Allianz health insurance premium, make sure you renew it on time. *
- Even though you can purchase the policy, the disability may be permanently or temporarily excluded. Permanent exclusions imply that coverage will not be provided for the duration of the policy. However, temporary exclusions may limit coverage briefly before being lifted. Claims are subject to terms and conditions set forth under the health insurance policy.
Subscribe to Bajaj Allianz General Insurance YouTube Channel here!
*Standard T&C Apply
##All savings are provided by the insurer as per the IRDAI-approved insurance plan. Standard T&C apply
Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.