Fiber connection is the fastest internet speed being used at the moment. It is not available widely yet due to its expensive infrastructure, but it has given the other internet connections a run for its money. Another kind of internet connection is no match for this internet connection. In Xfinity internet plans, if you are opting for a fiber-optic internet connection, you will have to go for the Xfinity Gigabit plan, offering speed up to 1.2G, along with a higher upload speed of around 35Mbps. However, the price and availability depend on the area that you are living in.
As of now, fiber-optic internet connection has no competition in the market. DSL internet connection is the slowest internet connection coming up after the ever-obsolete dial-up connection, with the highest downloading speed reaching up to 100Mbps. Satellite internet has been able to make some improvements in being able to handle the weather interference, but its internet speed is slower than that of the DSL internet connection. Also, satellite internet is the only preference for internet users living in rural or remote areas. Even if the internet users living in such areas had the option to choose between fiber optic internet or satellite internet connection, they would go for the fiber optic internet connection without any hesitation. It is no doubt more the most reliable, but unfortunately, fiber internet is not very much available in rural or remote areas. However, cable internet has been known to reach up to 1000 Mbps. That is plenty of speed for anything that anyone can do online. Xfinity Internet service providers offer both cable and fiber-optic internet connections. Their cable internet connection can get up to 1000Mbps and is known to be undoubtedly fast.
Fiber-optic internet VS cable internet
To determine how fast fiber-optic internet connection is, it will be compared with a cable internet connection, which is the closest competition.
- Fiber-optic internet connection uses small, flexible strands of glass to transmit data from one place to another, in the form of light, whereas cable internet utilizes copper material in their wiring, and data is transmitted in the form of electricity. Data transmission in the fiber-optic internet connection travels at the speed of light, which is much faster than how data is transmitted in cable internet.
- Fiber-optic internet connection is known to represent the backbone of the telecommunication and cable industries. However, it is not available everywhere yet due to its expensive infrastructure, which is why cable internet might be the best option if there is no fiber-optic internet connection in a locality. A cable internet connection uses the cable connection to send data transmission to customers’ end, which is why it is found in all urban and suburban areas. Most businesses also own cable internet and are making use of fast eliable internet connections. However, fiber-optic internet providers are looking to expand their network with fiber-optic cables, and some might even negotiate construction fees.
- The speed of fiber-optic internet is much faster than cable internet, and it can go up to 1Gbps and more. Fiber-optic internet connection also has symmetrical download and upload bandwidth. The transmission speed of cable internet can go from 10 Mbps to 1Gbps, but it doesn’t go more than that. Also, download and upload speeds are asymmetrical and upload speeds are from 3Mbps to 50Mbps. Another drawback of cable internet is that since the cable is shared around the neighborhood with multiple other residents, there is bound to be an interference in the internet connection. A fiber-optic internet connection is equipped to handle multiple bandwidths.
- Having a shared connection doesn’t make cable internet a very reliable internet connection. However, with a fiber-optic internet connection, internet users get to have a consistent and dedicated network connection.
Features of a fiber internet connection
With the help of these features, it will be determined how fiber-optic internet connection is the fastest in the world.
- Along with having the fastest speeds, the fiber-optic internet connection has the lowest error and lowest energy resources consumption.
- This connection is also efficient in quality information transmission.
- Optic cables are designed to carry a beam of modulated light and its frequency is closer to an infrared ray, which makes it more reliable than copper cables.
- Also, fiber-optic cables are designed to be insulated which is why electromagnetic interference and radiofrequency waves do not affect the fiberglass material.
- Security is also one of the promising strengths of a fiber-optic internet connection. The light that passes through the optical fiber cables has no radiation and it is not possible for anyone to eavesdrop on the transmission path. This makes fiber-optic internet connection idea for military purposes.
Fiber optic internet connection is ideal for businesses and large organizations that need the fastest internet connection, have larger bandwidth demands and need reliability for smooth and essential functioning of their responsibilities. Fiber-optic internet connection also delivers the best results over longer distances.