Mold can be present in any area of your home. It thrives in damp and dark spots, so it is more likely to develop in the attic and the basement. Aside from not being pleasant to the eye, mold is also dangerous to your well-being, and you should react as soon as you spot it.
Aside from health risks, mold can damage the surface it’s on and, depending on the size of the spread, cause costly repairs. I wanted to learn how to deal with mold and try some DYI tricks, so I asked EMS mold remediation pros for help. Here are some valuable lessons I learned:
Levels of Humidity
As I already mentioned in the intro, the sole prerequisite for mold growth is humidity. You should conduct a thorough inspection of your home with that in mind. Even if you don’t suspect anything, it is better to be sure and cross humidity off of the list. You can perform this checkup with a hygrometer – a cheap device you can purchase online. This helpful gadget can easily measure indoor humidity levels, and it is best to leave it in a room for a few days and then compare results. It should range between 30% and 50%to prevent mold growth. If the meter goes beyond 60%, you can suspect mold to grow.
Successfully removing mold from your home is a crucial step towards ensuring a healthy living environment. However, the lingering musty odor often left behind can continue to plague your living spaces, making it uncomfortable to inhabit. To effectively rid your home of these persistent smells, considering professional odor removal services can be a game-changer. Specialists in odor elimination have the expertise and equipment to thoroughly purge your home of any residual moldy scents, ensuring that the air you breathe is fresh and free from harmful microbial particles.
Keeping the air flowing throughout your entire home is vital. It is the best defense versus humidity. A quick solution is to keep windows open as much as you can. The air needs to circulate regularly and control humidity levels. Alternatively, you can use HVAC or fans to supplement the process artificially.
Exhaust fans are helpful too. They are usually located in the bathroom and in the kitchen, where plenty of water and steam occur daily. Aside from windows, exhaust fans can help fend off the moisture that would stay on your walls otherwise.
Different Mold Types
Another aspect to consider is the mold type that’s occupied your home. Essentially there are three types of mold, each choosing a different spot to grow. Depending on where you spotted the mold, you can assume it’s the following type:
The first type is allergenic – you can use the disinfecting product to deal with this type, but we recommend calling in professionals
The second type is pathogenic, and similarly to allergenic, these can also be dealt with disinfectants. The difference is that they can appear in large colonies, and that’s when it is best to let professionals.
Toxic mold is the most dangerous, and without proper tools and training, you should stay away.
If mold is in its early stages of growth, you can use DYI methods and clean it. Don’t forget to ventilate and wear gloves, eye protection, and old clothes.
Chlorine bleach can kill mold and clean stains. It is harsh, though, and you should dilute it before applying.
Hydrogen peroxide is not as strong as chlorine bleach, but it gets the job done. It takes more time and effort than chlorine bleach, but there are no side effects like toxic fumes afterward.
White vinegar is another helpful chemical. It kills the mold efficiently but cannot clean stains, so you need additional cleaning agents when you remove the mold.
Finally, baking soda is a good weapon against mold. It’s non-toxic, cheap, and easy to use.
Dealing with mold is risky, especially if you’ve never had any contact with it, and you can’t be sure to what extent it has grown. In situations when you aren’t confident that you can remove it yourself – call mold inspection Denver professionals.