Knives are among the first tools mankind has learned to use. The oldest blades have been identified as over 12,000 years old. Those times they were a little different, as they were for fighting and cutting hunting trophies, and for cutting finished meat at the table. Forks were then successfully replaced with their own hands.
- How to choose a chef’s knife?
Then the knives were divided into combat or hunting and domestic. With the development of culinary art, kitchen knives began to change and acquire new qualities necessary for cooking. Chef’s blades had more refined edges. Special requirements were made for the thickness of the blade, the sharpness of the edges, and the angle of sharpening.
- Chef’s knife: What is the difference from the usual one?
A chef’s knife is not so much a cutting tool for cooking as a versatile tool of the master, the artist of his work. The ideal professional knife should virtuously clean the skin, butcher any kind of meat or fish, and slice, chop and shred into a small crumb a variety of vegetables.
Usually such a knife is made of solid grades or metal alloys and is equipped with an impressive handle and blade with a sharp edge. Length and thickness match the taste of the cook and meets one’s criteria.
The main difference between the chef’s professional knife is that it is selected individually, on the hand. It must be easy to manage and comfortable to work with.
The usual chef’s knife differs in its size – it is longer and more massive.
The chef’s knife takes on much more load than a normal household knife. Therefore, it is famous for the high quality of the material.
The price of a chef’s knife is several times higher than that of a kitchen analogue.
- Knife in terms of quality
The main criterion when choosing – is quality. According to the material, professional knives are divided into the following:
- Stainless steel – is an available option, such knives have strength, anti-corrosion properties, and a sharp edge, which is easy to sharpen.
- From Damascus steel with a stainless steel core. Several dozen layers of carbon alloy form an individual pattern. The blade is flexible and easy.
- Titanium-carbon steel is coated with titanium, which gives the blade increased strength and sharpness and increases the service life, without additional sharpening.
- Ceramic – light and especially sharp knives, do not interact with food. Do not acquire the smell and colour of products, keeping their original taste.
One of the best is the blades of very strong high carbon stainless steel. Such knives are used by professional cooks. Their blade will remain well-sharpened for a long time. It is not susceptible to corrosion. Many chefs choose tools made of regular stainless steel, as it is softer and easier to sharpen. Although they will have to sharpen much more often than knives made of high-carbon alloys.
Professional knives for cooks are of various lengths – up to 30 cm. The long fabric helps to make a deep cut in one movement of the hand, which is important when thin cutting.
The French blade has a triangular shape and is more direct than the German. It facilitates the «swinging» type of motion – forward-backwards.
The German chef knife is distinguished by a blade curved in the front. It allows the products to be effectively shredded from top to bottom.
The blade of the Japanese knives has an axe-shaped shape, along the canvas there are «air pockets» – notches that do not allow the products to stick when cut.
The handle of the knife should be ergonomic and comfortable to lie in the hand. The palm should not be tired and tense when working.
The fragile handle, completely covered with plastic, can bend or break quickly at the junction. The best Chef models are made from a strip of steel that runs through the handle. A fragment of steel reaching the end of the handle is called a «full shank».
- Chef’s Triad
The set of classic tools «Cook’s Triad» solves all possible problems of a professional cook. It includes:
- Chef – a large-sized knife, which is designed for cutting, slicing, and shredding any kind of product – meat, fish, poultry, vegetables and fruits. Triangular sheet with thickening up to 3mm. A strong blade with a sharpening of 20° is present in all sets.
- Universal – long blade up to 15 cm. Small size and lightness allow quick and efficient peeling, cutting of small products, and greenery.
- Vegetable – knife with a compact blade of 7-8 cm, perfectly cleans any skin, and removes the peas and damaged places.