Studying abroad means that you have to leave your home country and start a new learning journey in an unfamiliar country. At this time, it is important to be fully prepared. Then, how to prepare to study abroad?
Looking for a room
If the programme you applied provides you with housing or arrange for you, you are lucky. However, most programmes require students to find a room by themselves. For those responsible for securing their own housing, here are the different types of housing you will encounter when studying abroad:
– Student dormitory:The student dormitories are great because they are fully equipped so that you can instantly reach people of your age who are in a similar situation. Socially, this is an ideal scenario. In terms of privacy, you may give up a little privacy. All dorms are different, but you may share a kitchen or a bathroom.
– Homestay: For those who want to immerse themselves in the local culture, a host family is a good choice. By living with other people (or the whole family), you will get a real experience and can benefit from their wisdom and advice as a local. These places are also clearly furnished and very suitable for those who just stay in the country temporarily. Of course, you must give up some privacy here. However, if you want to integrate yourself into the culture faster, it may be worthwhile.
– Apartment: As the most private option of your choice, the apartment is ideal for those who have more independence. Of course, depending on where you live, your apartment building may have many students, which may make it as social as a student dormitory. However, apartments can be expensive, so you may need to find other student roommates. For example, if you are looking for apartment rentals in Vienna, firstly you should do some research and be aware of the city’s pros and cons.
Before going to your study destination, you need to prepare some documents, such as passport, student visa, admission notice, transcript, etc. In addition, you also need to prepare sufficient funds for the overseas study and living. When studying abroad, it is important to bring all kinds of documents and proofs. They can prove your identity and the purpose of your going abroad, so that you can travel smoothly.
Managing your funds is one of the most difficult things in a foreign country. Studying abroad alone gives you many opportunities to experience new things, but it is also easy to make you consume impulsively, so you have to set a budget for yourself and consume within a reasonable range.
Here are some basic budget tips to help you save money abroad:
– Bring your student ID with you: Many countries/regions offer student discount cards, and usually carrying your student ID with you allows you to enter museums and other tourist attractions at a discounted price. Many shops and restaurants also offer discounts for students.
– Prepare meals at home: Eating out can add up quickly. If you have a small budget, cooking most meals at home is a good way to save money. You can still use local food – but preparing them at home will reduce costs.
– Look for free events: Of course, some things do cost money, but you will be surprised at the number of things you can do for free. Study outdoor activities (including outdoor gyms), beaches, free museums, and festivals.
– Check your budget frequently: There is no harm in setting an ambitious budget before you leave, but you should make changes after you arrive in the country and better understand the cost of things. Also, be sure to check your bank account regularly, especially when you are not used to using foreign currencies, you may inadvertently spend more money than you think.
– Search cheap travel methods: If you want to travel more while studying abroad, please search cheaper methods. Low-cost airlines like Ryanair may be a good choice. You can also look at trains and ferries. For intercity travel, you may consider investing in a bicycle. This is a good sport and may be cheaper than taking the subway or train. Also consider walking!
In any case, all international students are strongly advised to make full preparations before going abroad to avoid accidents during the journey. If you want to get more news and tips about studying abroad, please visit cateight.com, a comprehensive platform for overseas study.