Call it a Sneaker, a Mid or a Kick; they are a staple in every man’s shoe wardrobe. Gone are the days when sneakers were just for sports; today, they can be a part of any outfit, whether on a basketball court or a red carpet, a casual meetup or even a wedding. Sneakers for men are available in plenty of designs, tickling the fashion stylist in you. Sneakers for men are designed with the hustler in mind, the athlete, the freelancer, for the person who is not afraid to take controlled risks and see it through.
While variety is the spice of life, it’s all about wearing it right. You do not want to look lost wearing unmatching clothes with the wrong type of sneaker, So let’s look at 12 tips to oomph up your look anywhere, anytime, anyplace:
- Styling Your Basic Whites – A classic, a no-brainer, something that is versatile; basic whites can be styled casually or dressed up. Wear them under a summery coloured pair of shorts and a buttoned-down floral shirt, and you are set to have fun under the sun. Or go classic with a white tee and black jeans. Wear it with bold colours or tone it down, it’s a plain canvas, and you’re the artist painting it, make sure you are worth the watch.
- Styling With Your Denim – Denim is an integral part of a man’s wardrobe, and while not all styles go well with sneakers for men, a slim or a skinny fit compliments it quite well. You can pair up classic dark-wash blue jeans and a Henley shirt over a pair of sporty sneakers. Dressing up for a party?? A pair of black denim paired with a graphic tee under an open shirt and a couple of bright coloured kicks is all you need.
- Travelling Kicks – Travelling is always more fun when your feet are comfortable, and thanks to the variety of sneakers for men, you just got an upgrade. Go for a high-top like PUMA’s Rebound Layup Soft Foam+ Sneakers and pair it up with your favourite joggers or a classic Athlete Sneaker, button-up shirt with neutral shade pants.
- Wearing Them To Work – While this might seem like a faux pas back in the day, a clean white or black pair of low tops under a crisp shirt and a blazer with tapered woven pants will look like you mean business. Or experiment with fabrics and opt for a suede or leather sneaker, e.g. PUMA’s Suede Bloc Leather Men Sneakers, a neutral-coloured shirt, blazer and fitted dark-wash blue denim.
- Slip-On Kicks – Slip-ons are great time savers but can be a head-scratcher if paired wrongly. Wear them under your shirts and a graphic tee, or take it a notch high with a pair of chinos and a sweater. And if sweats are your go-to, these kicks with a couple of well-fitted sweatpants are never a letdown.
- Wearing With Your Shorts – The basic rule is if your top pops, keep your kicks neutral; hence a primary white Kick like an ace a floral or bold shorts shouts a summer party. A pair of slip-on kicks over shorts and a summery shirt are a great way to beat the heat without those sweaty feet, and you are ready for that bachelor beach party.
- Wearing Bold Colours – A head-turner, an eye gazer; these poppin’ colours get you noticed, so keep your outfit minimal and let your sneakers talk. Pick out a pair of your favourite baggy hoodie and shorts, or throw in a patterned tee and a leather jacket, and you are all set to ace that movie date with your loved one.
- Going Retro – As the fashion cycle goes, retro is back in style. Go for a complete retro satin suit and your kicks for a vintage vibe. Double denim it if you like, and give your retros a walk of modernisation. You have all the options you need to look dapper at that formal office party, from y colours to multicoloured ones.
- Styling Your Elevated Soles – If you are someone who likes to experiment, these elevated soles or platform kicks are a style statement worth giving a shot at. They are chunky and trendy and add a few more inches to your frame. Put on your denim shorts and an oversized tee or up your style with well tapered woven pants, an oversized shirt and a fitted coat.
- Dressing Up X Collabs – These designs are usually a part of a limited series and have a more high-end look. Suit up with them alongside a well-fitted, good quality tux or a pair of ripped black denim; they will add a little more glam to your OOTD.
- Wearing High Tops Correctly – Great for ankle support, these basketball sneakers for men are a crowd favourite. While wearing them, the rule of thumb entails making sure your bottoms are above your ankles. Opt for a slim, tapered pair of jeans or pair them with your activewear. Grab a pair of funky socks, and you’re ready to hit the streets.
- Classic Sporty Sneakers – ‘Fashion comes and goes, but classics are forever’ you can never go wrong with them and even splurge on different colours for these sneakers for men. Wear them to your gym or dress up with tapered pants, a loose tee, maybe something casual to throw over it.
These are just some suggestions for pairing sneakers for men, but be your critique at the end of the day. Stand in front of a mirror, keep these tips in mind and choose that perfect style for your next outing and go on, shake a leg, get lost exploring or even score a few buckets in your local hoop! The possibilities for styling are endless when you have a versatile pair of sneakers for men by your side.