The human brain is a very sensitive and delicate organ, which mostly get injured and damaged by falls and car accidents. These violent blows are enough to cause severe traumatic brain injury. This not only affects the brain, but also the various functional systems that it controls. Hence, it is necessary to get proper treatment before it gets too late.
Where to get proper treatment?
If you or any of your relative has gone through such conditions then immediately get proper treatment. You can get the best treatment from South Valley Neurology, here the team of neurologists focuses their entire attention and energy to treat their patients. Also, here you’ll get all the advanced health care services like electroencephalogram, electromyography, etc. The team is highly skilled to treat neurological disorders like dementia, migraine, seizures, etc.
About traumatic brain injury (TBI)
TBI mainly happens due to severe injury in the head that not only damages the skull but penetrates and causes damage to the brain. However, it varies concerning the area of injury, the severity of the injury, and the frequency of the force that caused the damage. Sometimes people get healed within a short period with temporary problems, but sometimes they affect the vital things.
The brain injury can be primary where the damage is seen immediately but in the case of secondary TBI, the injury gradually progresses. There are certain different types of TBI:
- Mild concussion: it is the most common type of TBI where the consciousness of the patient is badly affected.
- Moderate TBI: here the patient may lose consciousness for more than 30 minutes, but the confusion is seen for about a week.
- Severe TBI: loss of consciousness can last for a whole day, here the brain is greatly affected.
- Uncomplicated TBI: in such cases, the CT and the MRI are normal despite the grades.
- Complicated TBI: here the CT and MRI results show complications such as bleeding or clots.
- Closed TBI: it is also known as non-penetrating TBI, as the skull remains intact, but the brain is moved and damaged.
- Opened TBI: here the force penetrates the skull and damages the brain, hence known as penetrating TBI.
Signs and symptoms of TBI
The principal sign of TBI is loss of consciousness. However, there are certain different signs with which you can assume having TBI. The signs are:
- Convulsions or seizures
- Memory loss
- Dizziness, fainting, headache
- Sensitivity to light and sound
- Slurred speech
- Nausea and vomiting
In cases of children, as they are hardly able to express themselves their TBI remains unnoticed for a long time. Hence, be careful with these symptoms:
- Persistent crying
- Not eating properly, anorexia
- Lack of interest
Diagnosis and treatment of TBI
TBI is diagnosed by doctors with neurological evaluation, image test, and blood test. However, the treatment depends upon the severity, the moderate TBI can be healed with minimal treatment, therapy, and medication. However, the severe TBI needs surgery. Sometimes it gets hard for people to get back to their selves after TBI in such cases they may need rehabilitation.
TBI can cause severe life-threatening problems and sometimes it doesn’t get the proper treatment it may risk life. Hence, contact the neurologist and get the treatment faster.