You probably have had fried onion rings, but have you tried fried onion strings? Similar to onion rings, fried onion strings are a crispy and crunchy delight. Soaked in a buttermilk mixture and then coated with a delicious blend of spices and flour produces the tastiest snack to munch on. Popularly enjoyed as toppings in burgers, baked dishes, or as a side dish, this snack is quick and easy to make. Read on to see how to make this scrumptious food item!
Fried Onion Strings Recipe
To make this recipe you will need just a handful of ingredients that you probably have at home! So, let’s get started:
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper
- ¼ cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Peel and slice the onion into strings. With your hands separate the slices.
- Then, take a shallow bowl and add the buttermilk inside. Drop the onion strings into the bowl and let them soak in the milk for an hour.
- In another bowl, mix all the spices and the flour together.
- Heat up oil in a pan on medium heat. Take out the soaked onion strings and dunk them in the flour mixture. Once they are coated evenly, shake off excess, and drop them in the oil to fry.
- Fry until they are a beautiful golden-brown color and then remove and drain excess oil.
- Serve as a snack or place inside burgers for a delicious crunch!
Each serving of fried onion strings has about this many nutrients:
What Types of Onions Can You Use?
Typically, fried onion strings recipes call for sweet onions to balance the savory coating with the sweet vegetable. However, if you do not have sweet onions on hand, you can use regular white onions as they will work just as well.
Can You Air-Fry Onion Strings?
If you want to enjoy fried onion strings, but want to take the healthier route, you can always air-fry the onion strings. After coating the strings in the flour mixture, drop them in an aluminum foil lined air-fryer, and fry for about 11-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Can You Make Vegan Fried Onion Strings?
Eating healthy does not mean you cannot enjoy a good helping of fried onion strings. Simply replace the all-purpose flour with gluten-free flour and the buttermilk with soy milk. Add a splash of vinegar or lemon juice to it and you have vegan buttermilk!
Recipes to Serve Fried Onion Strings With
There are so many ways you can enjoy fried onion strings. Dip them in a BBQ sauce, or ketchup. Or go an extra mile and whip up smoked beef sandwiches. Fried onion strings pair well with this epic meal. Enjoy with fried chicken strips or crispy honey mustard chicken breast. The options are endless!
Whether you add the fried onion strings to your baked mac and cheese, or on top of your juicy beef burger, you will surely enjoy the spicy crunch and crispiness, so make this your next recipe to try!